Shubman Gill reveals how his ‘role model’ Virat Kohli helped him
The national selectors named the 15-member squad for the three-Test series against South Africa, starting October 2. Talented young batsman Shubman Gill was brought into the mix, whereas opener KL Rahul faced the axe.
The 27-year-old Karnataka batsman failed to perform in his recent outing against the West Indies. Rahul could not make a single half-century in his four innings, his best score being 44.
After his maiden Test call-up, Shubman Gill revealed his source of inspiration in Cricket. The 20-year-old right-hander mentioned the importance of Team India skipper Virat Kohli in his career.
“I have my role models. I try to follow the work ethics of Virat bhaiya but I know every player is different and you can’t copy anyone. I know I can hit from the first ball. But I also know how to play long knocks. It depends on the situation. These days, you have to have the ability to hit from the word go,” Gill told the Times of India.
Over the last couple of years, the youngster has been a real revelation and boon for the gentleman’s game. He has played both as an opener and a middle-order batsman.
Gill notched up a total of 244 runs for India A in the two unofficial Test matches in the West Indies, with the highest score of 204*.
He could not impress much with the willow in the five-match one-day series versus South Africa A but went on to get 90 runs in the first unofficial Test.
Shubman Gill will look to make the most of this golden opportunity and justify his selection by showing consistency with the bat.
- South Africa announces ODI squad for England series, names Quinton de Kock as captain
- ‘Usne maar maar ke bharta nikaal dia’ : Shoaib Akhtar on Rohit Sharma’s assault of Australia bowlers at Chinnaswamy
- ‘Usne maar maar ke bharta nikaal dia bowlers ka’ : Shoaib Akhtar on Rohit Sharma’s assault of Australia bowlers at Chinnaswamy
- WATCH: Sam Harper horribly collides with Nathan Ellis in BBL 09
- Hardik Pandya shares a loved-up snap with his fiancee Natasa Stankovic