Ashes 2019: Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc back as Australia announce squad for fourth Test
Australian top-order batsman Usman Khawaja has been dropped for the fourth Ashes Test, with Steve Smith and Mitchell Starc returning to the 12-man squad for the crucial match against England.
The 32-year old Khawaja has had a sub-par series to date and has been left out, with selectors leaning towards Marcus Harris to open the innings alongside David Warner.
Meanwhile, the new No. 3 Marnus Labuschagne has taken the most of his opportunities and was never a chance of being left out.
Also, fast bowler James Pattinson has been rested for the upcoming game, which opens the door for Starc to play his first match of the series.
The return of Starc to the side is a boost for the Aussies, who lacked that ‘killer instinct’ on the last day of the third Test at Headingley that the hulking veteran possesses.
But the term ‘rested’ for Pattinson is an odd one – that was the jargon used in the second Test. And it appears that he has been made a scapegoat for the heartbreaking loss in Leeds.
The fourth Test begins on Wednesday at the Old Trafford in Manchester.
Australia squad for fourth Ashes Test
David Warner, Marcus Harris, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Matt Wade, Tim Paine (c, wk), Pat Cummins, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood.
- South Africa announces ODI squad for England series, names Quinton de Kock as captain
- ‘Usne maar maar ke bharta nikaal dia’ : Shoaib Akhtar on Rohit Sharma’s assault of Australia bowlers at Chinnaswamy
- ‘Usne maar maar ke bharta nikaal dia bowlers ka’ : Shoaib Akhtar on Rohit Sharma’s assault of Australia bowlers at Chinnaswamy
- WATCH: Sam Harper horribly collides with Nathan Ellis in BBL 09
- Hardik Pandya shares a loved-up snap with his fiancee Natasa Stankovic